Westlake Village Relocations Attorney

Relocating With Your Child After a Divorce

If you are in a situation where you are forced to move from the area where your children live and where you share custody or visitation, you must file a Request for Order for a modification to your existing visitation and custody arrangements. These relocation modifications can be confrontational and difficult, requiring close evaluation by the court. At the Law Offices of Stephanie L. Mahdavi, we are committed to helping you through the relocation or move-away process.

We provide experienced representation and develop creative solutions that are in the best interests of the child. With more than a decade of experience in Ventura County, attorney Stephanie L. Mahdavi is ready to help you reach the best possible resolution in the matter. Consult with our office in Westlake Village today.

Solutions That Meet Your Specific Needs

The parent requesting to move must present the court with an explanation of why he or she is moving and what kind of living situation will be provided for the child after the move, as well as the change in lifestyle that it will cause the child.

The court will evaluate eight factors in deciding whether to grant the relocation modification:

  • Stability and continuity — You must be able to show that you will be able to continue to provide stability and a safe living environment for the children.
  • Distance — The court will evaluate how far you are moving from the children and the logistics of how you could continue to see them, including travel and transportation.
  • Age of the children
  • Relationship of the child with both parents — The court does not want the relocation to hurt the relationship the child has with either parent.
  • Relationship between the parents — The court is looking to see if both parents are willing to put the child’s interests first in the proposed arrangement.
  • The child’s wishes — If the child is over the age of seven, the court will generally listen to his or her opinions directly, either through mediation or through Minor’s Counsel.
  • Reasons for the move — The court will evaluate the legitimacy of the reasons for your move, including for a job, remarriage, medical reasons or other personal circumstances.
  • Extent of shared custody — The parent seeking to move must generally have at least 70 percent of physical custody to be granted a relocation; however, this condition alone will not guarantee that the request will be granted.

Our Ventura County relocation lawyers will provide experienced and skilled direction and representation through this process, working toward a solution that meets your needs, but ultimately protects the child’s best interests.

Reach Out to Our Law Firm for Relocation Advice

To schedule a consultation to discuss your relocation or move-away needs, please contact our Ventura County, California law office today at 805-379-4550.

    Contact Us

    * Fields are required
    By clicking submit you are agreeing to the terms and conditions.